7. Speed Prayer: Saul on Fire

Saul’s spirit was juiced, but his soul and his community were not up to speed.  Even though he experienced the public selection by God Himself, and the coronation as King of Israel, it was hard to start the new thing, since no one had done this before, and even harder to leave the old thing since it was springtime and there were fields to plow and crops to plant and he knew how to do these things.  His place on the farm was familiar, comfortable and gave him a quiet confidence of his place and role.

Plus it got him a lot of approval from the familiar community.

While Egypt was slow walking his kingship, using the familiar against the unfamiliar, God was getting ready to insert God-speed into his soul and into the culture.

Nahash the Ammonite decided to attack the Israelite city of Jabesh Gilead.  They were a Servant city so they asked for terms of surrender, instead of war. He replied that he didn’t really want the city or the money.  He just wanted to humiliate Israel, so the terms of surrender would be that he gouged out the right eye of everyone in the city.

They decided that this level of victimization was a bit over the top, so they sent word of the ultimatum to the rest of Israel to see if anyone would rescue them.

No one stepped up, until word came to Saul as he was coming in from the field with his oxen and plow.

Now everyone has a hot spot in their design, and seeing a bully is one of the big ones for a Servant like Saul.  The idea of HIS people being humiliated in THAT way caused a volcanic eruption that obliterated any shreds of slow walking Egyptian curses.

Pleased with the outcome of that event, God poured out a triple dose of God-speed on Israel, and the nation that had not had a full scale national army for centuries managed to muster 330,000 men rather abruptly.  Saul made like a general, divided the troops in three columns, did a surprise attack and obliterated the Ammonite army.

That victory was one of the most comprehensive the Israelites ever achieved.  No two enemy soldiers were left together.

The pain of change and the ease of the status quo causes many of us to participate in the Egyptian slow walking without even realizing how long we are letting the call of God lie fallow.  By dreaming about doing the big things “someday” and by complaining occasionally about the lack of resources, lack of opportunity, and the lack of support from the close inner circle and the broader culture, we can pretend that we are really all in, passionate about the call on our lives when in reality, nothing is happening.

I invite you to make a list of the things God has called you to do.  Then make a list of all the language we use for not walking in it.

“The anointing has not manifested yet.”

“I am in a season of preparation.”

“God is grooming my team.”

Etc. ad nauseum.

Then pray this prayer and ask God to do THAT THING that will ignite an explosion in the core of our design, blasting us out of our denial and passivity and paralysis.  Then ask Him to also release God-speed on everything around us, so like Saul, the impossible becomes extraordinarily possible with crushing force of the nature of God, with no shred of the reproach of Egypt on us.

7. Speed Prayer Saul on Fire

From the Admiral’s Club in Dallas, half way home

Comments

1. Joyful says

One of the themes of this year for me has been one of Holy Spirit surfacing words about callings that have languished, but with a “this is that” kind of flavor.

As in, “Here is the door, now go through it.”
    No excuses, right?

• Joyful says

All day the phrase “the reproach of Egypt” has been simmering as I alternated between my computer and painting a wall in one room of my house. So much prep before the painting can begin and so much to put back together when the painting is done.

Did a quick review of some Bible commentaries. And simmered. Phrase would not let me go. Maybe some tiny baby steps towards a more polyvarigated perspective on the phrase is coming now? I can hope. Some translations use the word, “disgrace”. Like, “no grace for you, sorry.”

One theme in this past year has been overwhelming feelings from a crushing level of reproach laid on me by a handful of older generation family members that were heavily influenced by freemasonry. A life-long reality that took me over 45 years to actually realize was present and affecting me.

Weren’t the Israelites pushed out of accepted mainstream Egypt because they were sheepherders? Different God. Different culture. Didn’t fit in. Seen as having no value? Eventually 400 years of being “less than”, they are in actual slavery. I can relate to being seen as a non-person, a fixture, and then once I found Christ and started praying for them, a troublemaker.

Today was sporadic, I had periods of feeling as if I was cooking with gas on all of my catalytic converts, and periods of being down in the molly grubs as the day was coming to a close. Not to despair as I stated earlier, I felt, sadness, depression and anger. BUT there was no earthly reason for me to be experiencing the feeling I had.Well I went to Tuesday night prayer meeting and the Holy Spirit poured out such and impartation that all those Egyptian assault went to the foot of the cross. Although today was rough, I stayed in the game and I am still all the way IN.

3. David Michael says

Some deep water here. Going through my lists and seeing the disconnect, I felt so much grief and sorrow.

Here’s to the fire being lit and the volcano erupting.

This one really clicked in for me. I felt an acceleration I hadn’t yet felt. Perhaps it is because of all the pushback I got yesterday. I do resonate with all the excuses we make when responsibility is ours. The sludge is starting to separate, like the splitting of the red sea. It is still there, but slushy walls around me are better than in front of me. Warrioring on!

This is remarkable. The Father has been revealing wrong expectations I had placed on myself since getting married and moving back to my home town – where in the 1960’s and still today, women are basically here to be what others need them to be, and I had somewhat stepped back into what I saw modeled when I was growing up. With the confession, forgiveness, and removal of what He has revealed so far, my creativity has shot up! Just in the last 2 days!

This morning my verse from Him was Isaiah 60:11 and 22 –

“And your gates will be open continually; they will not be closed day or night, so that people may bring to you the wealth of the nations, with their kings led in procession.” and “The smallest one will become a clan, and the least one a mighty nation. I, the Lord, will hasten it in its time.”

Too many excuses! God-speed! Thank you, Arthur! Any other suggestions on how to pray or understand are welcome.

6. Nina says

Incredible. Mind blow! So very thankful God has directed my path to the SLG tribe! Even more estatic to know there are warriors waging war on my behalf. Looking forward to repaying the favor someday.
    -Novice warrior

7. Kristan says

This one landed deeply. I did the exercise and was surprised at the amount of excuses I tell myself. And the list keeps growing as more excuses come to mind. I am humbly counting on God’s speed.

Hello SLG tribe. I have been experiencing some very heave push back with connecting with my clients on the telephone which is my primary mode of communication with my clients.

1. Has anyone else been experiencing anything similar in communication with electronic devices?
    2. One client expressed frustration that she does not usually have difficulty connecting using her cell phone.

Open to any thoughts!

• viviennehines says

Thanks, glad to hear my case is not an exception. I am happy to report that I have broken through with two of my clients. Still in the game however for permanent breakthroughs.

9. Rebekah says

Brilliant execution, Arthur. The way you seamlessly transitioned us from our pain to our responsibility. The way you galvanized us to fight an external foe only to expose our worst enemy — ourselves. AND then to awaken our cry to be all that God made us to be despite the cost, only so we would ask Him to do what He wanted to do for us from the beginning. I’m left breathless. It reminds me so very much of the way Father deals with us. May we be quick to yield.