1. Hebrew Worship: God Came

Our project of battling the Egyptian Curse and bringing in the Egyptian Blessing over the SLG tribe is far from over.  We had some strong initial successes but then the enemy unleashed some counter strategies, and our warfare prayers have not had as much power lately.  They have tended a bit toward information and petition, not power.

With that in mind, we are changing our tactic as well and focusing on how God taught the spiritually illiterate Hebrews how to worship Him.  Each of these blessings will be very personal from my life.  I encourage you to take the time to dig in and dress up the concepts with real life experiences from your own journey.

The beginning point for the journey toward skilled and variegated worship was the burning bush.  And the core point here is that God came to Moses, on his turf, without Moses specifically asking.

The God Who Responds is emotionally immense for us.  The Hebrews in the brickyards were crying out to God for intervention.  The evidence is that Moses felt himself somewhat alienated from the God of his fathers, and consigned to simply exist – surviving without thriving in the wilderness.

Against that backdrop, the God Who Initiates is a monumental object of our worship.  Imagine world history if God had waited for Moses to ask Him to come explore Moses’ apparently lost birthright!

Historically there are a few examples that touch me emotionally in a very deep place.  I suggest you explore your own Biblical Hall of Fame and draw out the stories that dance and sparkle for you.  These are mine and while I try to be contagious for those who have no spark, if you already have a hot spot for the God Who Initiates, by all means use your own stories.

-Pre-creation.  And the earth was without form and void . . .  Into THAT ugliness, God came.  He didn’t send an angel.  He didn’t look from heaven.  He came.  He moves toward brokenness with fierce intentionality.  Before He made anything beautiful, He came and savored the full awfulness of the awful.

God came!  I can worship on THAT theme.

-Abram had lived carefully as a Giver who was a resident alien in the land, with no civil rights and no standing army.  When Lot got himself in trouble, Abram rescued him and, in the process, disrupted the equilibrium he had created.  He now had a price on his head and some serious enemies among the neighboring kings.  Next spring, there would be trouble.

But Abram was a man’s man, and he didn’t spread his pain around.  For sure, he didn’t go bother The Almighty with his problems.  However, God knew he was stewing over the problem, so in Genesis 15 God came to him, with no context and said, “I’ve got your back, Son.”

That lands so deeply with me.  I am not much into whining either.  But there are times when The Almighty puts on His Father cloak and brings me the hug I so needed but hadn’t asked for.

God came!  I can worship on THAT theme.

-David messed up with Bathsheba.  There was drama, drama, drama.  It was quite clear that God was working with David in the midst of the mess and during the years thereafter, but I would think, if I were David, the issues of wife, sex, babies and such would be uncomfortable spots for David to chat with God about.  You see endless Psalms about every personal aspect of David’s life.  Unlike Abram and me, he had no qualms about involving God in his messy journey.  He’d ask for a hug at the drop of a hat.

But you don’t see any songs about his challenges in rebuilding his family life.  Every other problem, yes, but not that one.  How do you go to God and ask for coaching on your marriage issues after an affair of that magnitude?  The awkwardness lasted a number of years.  David and Bathsheba had three more boys in the context of uncomfortable silence with God.

So . . . since he would not go to God, God came to him.  When his son Solomon was born, God sent the prophet to say, “I LOVE that kid!  Can I come to the party?”  2 Samuel 12:24ff.

I know what it is to know I am forgiven, but to feel uncomfortable discussing the long term reality of my past sin.  In that place, I have had God come to me to break the ice and open dialog about relationship in the very place of sin.

I can worship THAT God.

-Jesus grew up in Nazareth, but it was clear that this was not the best place for ministry headquarters.  He looked around and went very intentionally to Capernaum because it was the darkest place around and had the most deeply rooted powerlessness.  So cool.  It was not about Him and His comfort, or His platform, or His preferences.  He made a beeline for darkness and put on a light show for the ages.

I can worship THAT God.

I welcome you into my private worship celebration of the God who comes!

1. Hebrew Worship: God Came

Copyright September 2015 by Arthur Burk

From Loig, Austria in the wee hours of the morning since my body is not in sync with local time yet.

Comments

1. valynda says

The God Who comes. Yes, indeed He does, over and over again.
    Thank you Arthur for this worship prayer as it reminded me how many times in my life, God came and how grateful I am, He did.

2. Mary says

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck is a book most people, my age, have read. While reading it for a book club recently, I felt the antithesis of the message here. God did not show up. In deep gratitude for a God who comes!

3. Soo Fee says

Celebrating God not only as a God that comes to us but also a God that follows us.

Sharing what I just read from Max Lucado’s Devotion:

Psalms 23: Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life

He will “follow” you.
    What a surprising way to describe God! We’re accustomed to a God who remains in one place. A God who sits enthroned in the heavens and rules and ordains. David, however, envisions a mobile and active God. Dare we do the same? Dare we envision a God who follows us? Who pursues us? Who chases us? Who tracks us down and wins us over? Who follows us with “goodness and mercy” all the days of our lives?
    Isn’t this the kind of God described in the Bible? A God who follows us? You have to go no farther than the third chapter of the first book before you find God in the role of a seeker. Adam and Eve are hiding in the bushes, partly to cover their bodies, partly to cover their sin. But does God wait for them to come to him? No, the words ring in the garden: “Where are you?” (Gen. 3:9). With that question God began a quest for the heart of humanity that continues up to and through the moment you read these words.

4. SandyBassie says

Thank you for sharing with us. I too love Genesis 1:1-2. I love how it states the truth before the details; fait accompli. God sees what he placed there before it becomes visible to creation’s eye. I think this is the place from which I love his fierce intentionality and have found it ‘beautiful’. You say, “He moves toward brokenness with fierce intentionality. Before He made anything beautiful, He came and savored the full awfulness of the awful.” It is a beautiful expression that captures the ‘light from darkness’ of ‘awful’; that as-yet-unmade place in which God sees the completed work. This is so not ‘little kid’ work. It takes the hand and eye of the master to draw it out. I’ve seen Him doing it and continuing to do it in some amazing ways in people I know, and some of the day to day gifts we receive as glimpses into life through His eye. In the midst of my chaos, these anchor me and make my spirit soar. I love that he is the God who Sees and that he is fierce for us there. This is a place from which I worship.

5. Louise says

I am in a time right now when I am finding it hard to connect with God because I feel He hasn’t been there for me through the most painful times in my life, past and present.
    This blessing is starting to remind me to look for the times when I have recognised that HE has come in a way that I often can’t or won’t recognise.
    This is reminding me to think about the times that he HAS come to me even when I don’t ask him to and when its hard to talk to him even. Thank you very much for this..

6. Trish Smith says

As darkness presses
    in the cold night
    Finding warmth in
    Reaching for light
    Sincere soft innocence
    Wrapped in Love
    Flowing gently
    A gift from Above

7. Mary-Anne Finlay says

This morning I read your message on Facebook and the phrase about the scorched earth has been resonating so deeply in me. My spirit understood this phrase at such deep levels that my soul could not comprehend.
    I then read this blog and the two just seemed to connect with my spirit!
    All day events from my life came to me about how Father came to those areas of my life where I was accepting scorched earth and He met me in the ugliness! He offered me the Kingdom!

If I were to find a Bible verse for what had landed so deeply it would have to be: “Seek First the Kingdom of God and His righteousness! And all these thing shall be added to you.”

Thank you for sharing this blessing and may you have more of Father coming to you!

As I read your information Arthur, I am reminded how God came to me in the brokenness of my
    having an abortion while I was married. Over a decade later when I became a born again believer who was too ashamed to go to God for comfort, I repented for the specific LAW breaking of the
    abortion and felt very grateful to be forgiven. I felt at the time that someone like me who had taken the innocent life of my baby could be forgiven, but that I could never be used of God for anything. Then God came to me in a vision from heaven one night and totally blew me away. I have written of the account with Jesus as he showed me my baby in heaven. I watched her grew in the arms of Jesus from an infant to an adult. The entire account is found in my EBook titled:
    Traumas, Transformation & Glory by E. Vivienne Anderson, available on Christian Living Books.com. I will worship on that in honor to my KING on that. Thanks