23. Hebrew Worship: Poetic Justice

The plague of locust was the death knell of the economy of Egypt.  The cattle had been destroyed.  People spent their hard earned money on more cattle and it got destroyed a second time.  Some of their crops had been destroyed by the hail.  Now every small scrap of plant would be devoured by the locust.

Egypt may have had some small level of liquidity left, but what good is money when there is no food in the store?

Of all the plagues, this one landed with me in the deepest place.  God brought the first of the Hebrews, Joseph, to Egypt to save them from starvation through a crop based mandatory savings project.  The rest of the Hebrews came to buy grain from the Egyptians.

Now, at the end of the story, the Egyptians are destitute except for some cash, and are buying grain from the Hebrews because they were blessed by their God and their crops were protected.

What poetic justice.

This moved me deeply because it is my life.  I struggled badly in school.  My worst grades were consistently in writing and speaking.  When I was a senior in high school, we had to write two term papers.  I got an F on the first one and a D- on the second.  The D- was not because of vast improvement but out of self-preservation on the part of the teacher.  She did not want me back in class next year.

I remember the day she took pages from my term paper and projected them onto the screen at the front of the class to show the class all the errors.  Every imaginable error was on a single page of my term paper, so it was easier for her than showing a dozen different students’ papers.

Some years later, I went to Mt. Hermon to the granddaddy of the Christian writer’s conferences.  Each registrant was allowed to present a book proposal to the publishers and some would be selected in the breakout sessions to be critiques for style.

You got it.  Mine was selected in the break out session I attended, and it was shredded as “the worst book proposal” he had ever seen.

So here I sit, cranking out blog after blog, speaking hither and yon, and some people actually want to listen to what I have to say.  That is God’s poetic justice – rubbing it into the devil for what he did to me as a kid.

This is one of the reasons I worship so deeply when walking with my survivor friends.  I see such immense things that He does for them as poetic justice.

I just received a lengthy email from a survivor I connect with once or twice a year.  She wrote about what God had done with a particular part of her journey and asked if I had ever seen anything like that before or not.

I will write back something to the effect of “Of course not, Silly.  You had some of the worst SRA I have seen.  Do you think God is going to heal you in any ordinary way?  Never.  You are going to be one long series of over the top, amazingly different miracle encounters with God as He brings poetic justice to His ancient enemy, not just healing to you.”

Join me in a short, pointed worship celebration of the God of Poetic Justice.

23. Hebrew Worship: Poetic Justice

Copyright November 2015 by Arthur Burk

Comments

It makes me angry to see how many stories there are of public humiliation. That has not been my life, but still I can relate deeply to the picture of God rubbing it in on the enemy for what he stole. I KNOW that one. Thank you, Arthur, for continuing to find these facets of the nature of God in the story of the Hebrews and Egyptians. I might camp on this one for a while. I know that you are warring for all of us, but I pray that what is returned to you for your fight is far and away beyond all expectations.

2. Bonnie Meyer says

In college, I had a term paper due on what I believe in. The teacher pointed to me and said if you write on God I will flunk you. I did, and she did. I found out from friends that she became a christian two years later. I had packed so much scripture into that paper, knowing God’s word does not return void. I may have a transcript that looks like a failure, but the angels rejoiced, even if the enemy did not.

Bonnie, that is spectacular. If we would just give God a few years to write the final chapter instead of expecting Him to fix it all in a few minutes, we would be willing to risk/invest so much more.

My teachers called my academic failure: “lapses of laziness.” When you are being savagely abused and cult molested by night, to the naked eye it would appeared to be laziness. Poetic Justice honors the God who kept me alive when I did not want to be alive. TO GOD BE ALL THE GLORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arthur, I love this perspective. I was called the girl least likely to succeed in school, the one that would never amount to anything academically in Jamaica. Yet, here I am today with an advanced degree. Only God, only my Abba could make that happen. I just love Him.

PS. On Jamaican Warfare, I just accidentally learned on yesterday in some research that I found while on a dinner break at work at the library, that the Indigenous people of Jamaica was renamed by the Europeans as Arawak Indians. I also found another new name that they gave themselves. You just got to love our Father.

5. Karen Christian says

Dear Arthur,
    Thank you for this understanding of poetic justice. I am fairly new to you and your teachings..except a couple of years of praying Blessing your Spirit. I have listened to many teachings on YouTube asking the Spirit to lead me. After I had listened for about two weeks, the Lord spoke to me that the table He was laying for me in the presence of my enemies was laden with a feast…your teachings. I thank you most sincerely. And I worship our Lord deeply.
    Karen Christian, Colorado Springs, Colorado

6. Sherry says

Wow! You just helped me see poetic justice in my life today. A few hours ago I was thinking about an event that happened in my life years ago when I was in the 1st grade. I had taken a book out of the Library and it had accidentally gotten a burn mark on it from home. The next day the teacher held it up and showed everyone what I had done to the book. Total humiliation. I did not take another book out of the library for several years, and that was only once in 7th grade. The irony of that is that I just finished writing my first ebook. Pretty cool. Thanks for putting that together and sharing it.