35. Hebrew Worship: Naming God

After the Exodus, Moses led Israel in formal worship.  There are four components to worship after a victory that we will look at individually.

First, and perhaps most important, is naming God.  Each victory reveals some facet of the nature of God.  Our emotional reaction is generally about the benefit to us.  Recently a man I know was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  The family feared death with the loss of husband and father.  The surgery went better than expected.  He got a visitation from God and has been rejoicing over his miraculous process.

That is good, and there is nothing wrong with his celebrating a new lease on life, but when we become completely caught up in the benefit to us, we miss the all important issue of the revelation of some facet of the nature of God.

Prior to the ten plagues, the God of the Hebrews was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  There had not been transformational transactions with this God for about 400 years.

During the ten plagues, Yahweh became The God Who Destroys.  They got quite a lesson on the diversity of ways this God they were somehow related to, could spank entire nations.

After the first three plagues, God differentiated between the two nations, revealing another aspect of His nature.   When all of the cattle of the Egyptians were killed by disease, God protected ALL of the Hebrews’ cattle.  Pharaoh sent some inspectors from the Ag Department to verify this rumor and was quite taken aback to discover The God Who Micromanages Highly Contagious Diseases.

Gradually God revealed one facet after another of His nature to them.  This was Moses’ primary calling in life, as an Exhorter.  He was to reveal God to the people of God who did not know their God.

“Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the LORD: “I will sing to the LORD, for he is highly exalted. The horse and its rider he has hurled into the sea.  The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.  He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.  The LORD is a warrior; the LORD is his name.”  Exodus 15:1-3  NIV

They had seen God take on the magicians of Egypt.  And the political power.  And the economic power.  And the demonic power.

BUT, Egypt’s brand was their army.  The chariots of Egypt were a source of terror to the entire Middle East of that day.  You didn’t want to provoke a diplomatic crisis so great that the big bad chariots rolled.

Unless, you happen to be the Warrior God of the Hebrews!

They simply HAD to see their God take down the chariots of Pharaoh.  Anything less than that would have diminished their view of God.  Sneaking out at night, while Pharaoh was weeping was cool.  It broke the slavery.  But watching God utterly obliterate soldiers, officers and chariots – well, that was a side of God that was new, new, new and most utterly welcome.

So where have you named God lately?

One of our tribe is part of a deliverance team that hears God with great accuracy.  They refer to The Elbow of God whenever the Holy Spirit pokes someone in the ribs with an insight.  They would dearly love to have a glorious graphic of an elbow to decorate their meeting place, but can’t find anything that isn’t cheesy!

Another team experience God Who Dominates the Personnel Files.  This team ended up on a bait-and-switch assignment.  They went after a demon of death by a river, and God redirected them to a spirit of depression on a mountain.  It was affecting the whole community.

They braced themselves for an intense rumble, but it was all over in seconds.  They swiftly realized that they had a very bright, cheerful person on the team who had huge capacity for joy in a 1,000 different flavors which made taking that stronghold easy!

A mother wrote in this week with an exciting story of her child surpassing her in spiritual wisdom.  She had just met The God Who Loves to Partner with Children’s Spirits.

I have a friend who knows The God of the Four Winds.

The gentleman who is helping us find our venue in England knows The God Who Designs Distinctive Land.

Who do you know?  Have you named the God of all your victories – or were you just grateful?  Gratitude is powerful and appropriate.  But if you only got your miracle and didn’t come to know your God in a deeper way, you foolishly squandered a vast treasure.

Join me in a prayer of repentance and of celebration.

35. Hebrew Worship: Naming God  Accessing Intimacy SLG Coaching blog

Copyright December 2015 by Arthur Burk

Comments

1. Bethany Tucker says

I am too late to add a Comment but I want to add my worship for the record book: I love going to the airport as 50% of the I have a plane crossing a bridge directly above me as I drive underneath or a plane taking off directly over me as I’m on the road to the airport and so, I celebrate the God of Precise Timing; I am battling in prayer for 2 young men that are total strangers, an actor & a musician, simply because they are my youngest son’s doppelgängers and so, I celebrate the God who Provides an Intercessor when There Are No Intercessors. Thank you for letting me add my bit! Bethany

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015, SLG Coaching wrote:

> SLG posted: “After the Exodus, Moses led Israel in formal worship. There > are four components to worship after a victory that we will look at > individually. First, and perhaps most important, is naming God. Each > victory reveals some facet of the nature of God. Our” >

There have been a few times over the years where I have been utterly in the dark about something that is going on in my life. I ponder, and I sometimes stew over it, then I ponder, read, study, think, pray, etc., and ask God more than a few questions. Sometimes for months, and for some of them I am going on years of pondering and asking. Then suddenly God gives me one word or one phrase and it absolutely changes everything. I suddenly understand it or suddenly have a course of action. I named Him The God of One Hit Wonders. Mind you, He doesn’t then fade into obscurity as so many fleeting musicians, but He does then return to His modus operandi of the daily process of relationship through simply guiding me in “everydayness”.

I love this one!!!

Lately I am pondering The fiercely combative God, The God of improbabilities, and The God who out-smarts the enemy. It deepens something in me.

4. Greg says

God is worthy of worship…always! Regardless of the circumstance or situation.

I have heard a pastor give a teaching on Revelation 4:8 where the Throne scene is of the four living creatures who say, “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God, The Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come.”

In his words, he said that the words “holy” were exclamations of new revelation of the creative power of God. They were declaring a new revelation of what they were seeing as they were looking at the Throne and Him, Who sits on the Throne. Each declaration is a new revelation, even though they have been continually looking and watching. They have eyes which are around and within, so their perception is multi-dimensional, and still they are seeing something they have never seen before and it is so amazing they are surprised and declaring it with awestruck amazement!

It is the very nature of God to be revealing something new. To never stop creating and healing, to bring the Kingdom to us here on earth. For us to take hold of that creative power, to make right that which has been twisted out of original design, so that it can function for the purpose it was created.

My our eyes, those on the outside and our pineal gland (thanks Arthur for that one) be always watching for the new revelation, and may our lips be overflowing with the declarations of the brilliance of our creative God.

5. Debbie C. says

A little over two years ago I had to leave an abusive husband, when it became clear that it was only going to get worse. With a deep breath, I took a big step of faith and left. Over these last two years I have found God to be continually faithful, every month I have had money for groceries and rent; he has never let me down. When I have been utterly exhausted he has given me strength to carry on, so I name Him the God Who Is My Strength, and the God Who Is With Me Every Step Of The way.

6. Maggie says

The ‘God who Dreams’…am I being presumptuous ? Is God dreaming about a Bride for His Son?….are dreams another kind of reality…that belongs only in HIS heart….Will His children be a bride soon , will they see a Bridegroom at last….that’s my heart cry always and forever HIS….

7. Louise says

This is powerful and enriching and makes me think to write down all those past victories and to focus on them.

Trackbacks